All Commonwealth supported students pay a student contribution amount.

For details of fees, and eligibility for HECS-HELP assistance refer to: 2019 Student Contribution Amount and General information for Commonwealth supported students.

What is HECS-HELP?

HECS-HELP is a government scheme that enables eligible students* to pay their student contribution amount in the following way:

  • HECS-HELP Loan: This is a loan from the Australian Government for all or part of your student contribution amount. The loan amount is recorded with your Tax details by the Australian Tax Office (ATO). The ATO will be notified of the debt you have incurred at each topic census date.

See the Australian Government Study Assist website for details about accepting a Commonwealth supported place and a HECS-HELP loan.

*Eligible students are Australian citizens, permanent humanitarian visa holders, and New Zealand citizens who have been long-term residents of Australia since childhood and meet certain eligibility criteria (see the Study Assist website for details).  Whilst eligible for Commonwealth support, other New Zealand citizens and permanent residents are not eligible to defer their student contribution amounts to HECS-HELP and must pay their fees upfront.

How do I receive HECS-HELP assistance?

You must complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF) prior to enrolling. If you are eligible for HECS-HELP assistance and wish to obtain a HECS-HELP loan you must have supplied a Tax File Number (TFN) on your CAF.

Provided you have supplied your TFN, the ATO will be notified of any student contribution amount that remains unpaid after the relevant due date.

What if I do not have a tax file number (TFN)?

If you are a Commonwealth supported student and you will be obtaining a HECS-HELP loan for all or part of your student contributions, then you must include your tax file number (TFN) on your Commonwealth Assistance Form (CAF). If you don't yet have one, you should apply for a TFN as soon as possible.

If you do not supply a tax file number to the University then you will be unable to obtain a HECS-HELP loan and will need tp pay your student contribution amount  up-front.

Note: If you are a Commonwealth supported student, and you are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan or you will be paying all of your student contribution amounts upfront, then you do not need to supply your TFN on your CAF.

If your student contribution amount remains unpaid after the relevant due date your enrolment will be cancelled.

Why do my fees appear overdue in the Student System when I have submitted a valid HECS-HELP form?

When viewing the information in 'My Finances' in the Student System, it may appear that your fees are overdue even when a valid HECS-HELP form has been submitted.  If you know that you have successfully submitted a HECS-HELP form in the Student Information System, then simply ignore your student contribution fees listed.  Fees will remain listed until after the census date when they are deferred.

To check that your HECS-HELP form has been submitted successfully, get your Fee Account from 'My Finances' in the Student System.  You should see that your fees are set to be deferred leaving $0.00 owed by you if you have submitted valid HELP forms.

Note that student services and amenities fees may also be due.  Again, check your Fee Account if you wish to confirm that a SA-HELP form has been submitted successfully to defer these fees.

When do I repay my HECS-HELP debt?

You do not need to start repaying your HECS-HELP debt until your income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment. In the 2018 - 2019 tax year the income threshold is $51,957.  Visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website for more information about repayments, including early voluntary repayments.

To check your current outstanding HELP balance, you can either contact the ATO on 13 28 61 or log in to myGov and click on the 'Accounts' tab to access your 'loan accounts'.  For more information about accessing your current outstanding HELP balance, visit the ATO's Repaying your student debt website.

Further Information

See the Australian Government Study Assist website for further HECS-HELP information.
Note that student services and amenities fees, payable by all domestic students, can be deferred to SA-HELP in a similar way to HECS-HELP.