Order my ID card

Policies and procedures

Log in to FLO


Cotutelle doctoral degrees

Getting to Flinders

Request building access

Study resources

Disability services

Student computing

Access Flinders wi-fi




Your Student ID card is an important part of life on campus. You’ll need your Student ID to:

  • obtain student concessions
  • access University buildings
  • borrow resources from the library
  • store credit for printing and photocopying
  • and more.

Order your Student ID card online, and contact Flinders Connect if you have any issues.



Flinders University has formal policies and regulations covering your rights and responsibilities as a student, including:

If you need more information about these policies, or advice about lodging an appeal or complaint, contact a Student Advocacy Officer at the Flinders University Student Association (FUSA) on 8201 2371.

You can also seek advice on the University's student-related policies and procedures from the Manager, Student Policy and Projects.



Flinders Learning Online, or FLO, has a comprehensive range of support materials, resources and videos is available for students. You can access FLO from your student dashboard.

The RHD Student section on Flinders Learning Online (FLO) is a one-stop shop for the majority of your needs, providing you with:

  • resources (for part-time, external and mature-age RHD students)
  • workshop notes from the RHD Professional Development Program
  • discussion forums
  • relevant RHD contacts
  • important policies and procedures
  • scholarships and grants
  • links to RHD sites and relevant forms
  • useful RHD readings and resources
  • RHD career pathways

Email the Office of Graduate Research with any queries, comments, or requests for further resources that you would like to see included on the research higher degree students FLO site.



There are a range of University, government and non-government scholarships available to students, such as Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarships (AGRTPS) and Flinders University Research Scholarships (FURS), so take a moment to search scholarships applicable to you.

The period of scholarship tenure is not necessarily the same as your candidature tenure, so please refer to the scholarship conditions of award. Scholarships are normally tenable for three years full-time in the case of a Doctorate or two years full-time in the case of a Masters by Research.

For some scholarships, students undertaking a Doctorate may be eligible for a six-month extension of the tenure of their award. Extensions are only considered on study grounds outside of the student's control.

If you apply for leave (intermission) from candidature, you must also apply for leave (intermission) from your scholarship.

Application forms can be obtained here, and must be returned with your supervisor’s approval via the Request Support tab in the Ask Flinders website.

Whilst you are undertaking your candidature, there are other forms of financial support available to you that include:

  • Research Student Maintenance (contact your College for specific information)
  • Research Student Conference Travel Grants
  • Overseas Field Trip Grant
  • Flinders University Overseas Travelling Fellowship
  • Elaine Martin Fund Travel Grants
  • Thesis Allowance

Search the scholarships database for more details.



If you’re a doctoral student who has already been admitted, and you’re in your first year, you might consider applying for a Cotutelle Doctoral Degree, which is a doctoral degree program undertaken jointly at Flinders University and an international higher education institution.

A PhD student (domestic or international) can divide their candidature between Flinders and the partner institution, with a successful student awarded a doctoral degree from both institutions.

Students seeking a Cotutelle Doctoral Degree need to have an appropriately resourced project and supervision at both partner institutions, and satisfy each university’s normal admission requirements, including language proficiency.

Typically, cotutelle agreements must be in place by the end of the first year of equivalent full-time study.

Learn more.



There are lots of ways to get to Flinders University:

Public Transport

The Adelaide Metro Journey Planner can help you identify the best options and route.


The Cycle Instead Journey Planner generates cycling routes using Adelaide’s Bikedirect network of main roads, bike lanes, local streets, off-road paths and some unsealed paths. There are also bike rails and lockable stores to secure your bike located around campus.

Shower facilities are also located around campus.


Walking to Flinders might also be a suitable option.

Designated walking paths are lit at night for your safety, and link the different faculties and facilities as well as the three major hubs on the campus: Sturt precinct, Main precinct and the Medical Centre.


If you intend to drive to Flinders, you can purchase a parking permit online, which will be mailed to you.

Visit the Location and getting to campus website for further information about getting to Flinders.



Your Student ID card gives you access to the Flinders Hub and Plaza 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can request 24-hour access to computing facilities by emailing security@flinders.edu.au.

If you need access to any other rooms or labs around campus, contact your School.



Information about resources is available in FLO on the RHD students section under ‘useful links and resources’.



Flinders provides a free confidential disability advisory service for enrolled students who have a disability.

Disability refers to any impairment, medical condition, or mental health or learning issue that inhibits your access to education.

Whether your disability is short or long term, our Disability Advisors will be your first point of contact for information and assistance.

More information about our service is available from Flinders’ Health, Counselling & Disability Services.

Phone 8201 2118 to make an appointment with a Disability Advisor to talk about your needs.

Discussions about disability and impairment are often invisible and silent in doctoral education. The Dean of Graduate Research discussed this invisibility and silence with Kirsten Read, Disability adviser for the Health Counselling & Disability Services at Flinders. They discuss the key challenges for students but also the practical and concrete steps that can be enacted to create an enabling doctoral programme, and social justice with excellence.



There are a number of apps that may help you during your time at Flinders University, including:

  • The Okta app, which will give you access to your student dashboard from your mobile device;
  • Transit app than can give you public transport information;
  • The My Weekly Budget app that can help you manage your finances; and
  • The Centrelink app which provides access to your Centrelink account and details.

Password Reset

If you forget your password to the Student System, you can reset it by using the Self-Service Password Reset, but you’ll need to have registered to this utility in advance.

If you don’t have access to the utility, call the Service Desk on 12345 on a Flinders phone, or visit Flinders Connect in the Student Hub, Level 0, Central Library Building, Bedford Park.

Student Software

Some University software license agreements allow students’ use on private computers. The right to use Home Use Licenses is only available to currently enrolled students.



All Flinders students have access to eduroam, which is an agreement between education and research institutions to share and enable wireless access across the institutions.

You can connect to eduroam using your FAN (Flinders Authentication Name) and password.

There are separate instructions for different operating systems, so visit the Australian Eduroam FAQs and the Flinders University Acceptable Use of ICT Policy before you connect.



Graduation ceremonies take place in April, September and December each year.

In the lead-up to your graduation, the Graduations Office will contact you with details on how to register to attend a ceremony, or graduate in absentia.

For more information, check the Graduations page.

For PhD students, the honour of being called "Dr" occurs once your degree has been conferred by Flinders University at a Graduation Ceremony or Council Meeting.