School of Education
Shane worked for 18 years as a science and physical education teacher in schools in Perth and Adelaide; holding leadership positions including HPE Coordinator, Sport Coordinator, Year Level Coordinator, Director of School Administration and Deputy Principal. At Flinders University he lectures in curriculum studies, physical education and sport studies. His research interests include curriculum design and enactment, pedagogy and instructional strategies for games and sport teaching, sport coaching and curriculum leadership.Shane is the author of four books on game sense teaching and coaching, and he is internationally recognised for his research into sport teaching and coaching. Shane was a major contributing writer to the Cricket Australia S'Cool Cricket resource, the Tennis Australia Hot Shots Tennis resource and the revised AFL Sport Education program.
Bachelor of Education (Physical Education); Masters of Educational Leadership; Doctor of Philosophy; Level 2 Australian Football Accredited Coach.
Honours, awards and grants
- South Australian Football League 2013: Coach Award. Citation: Services to coaching and coach education
- 28th Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation International Conference (Melbourne) Early Career Researcher Award-Best paper from an early career researcher
- Council of Educational Associations South Australia World Teachers Day Award 2013. Citation: Recognition of Excellence: Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching Profession in South Australia.
- Flinders University Faculty of Education, Humanities and Law Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2013.
- Life Member: The Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation (LMACHPER), 2013.
- Outstanding Service to St Thomas School Sport (2012)
- Physical Education Week Award 2010.Citation: Certificate of Excellence: In recognition of your truly inspirational and dedicated, continuous professional commitment to ACHPER and to Health and Physical Education in South Australia
- Physical Education Week Award 2009: Certficate of Excellence: In recognition of his time in coaching hockey and soccer teams for many years as part of the school parent initiated sport program at St Thomas School.
- Fellow: The Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation (FACHPER), 2007.
- Council of Educational Associations South Australia World Teachers Day Award. Citation (2007): Recognition of Excellence: Outstanding Contribution to the Teaching Profession in South Australia.
- Physical Education Week Award 2000. Citation: Certificate of Appreciation: For his commitment to developing quality physical education and sport programs for the staff and students at Mt Carmel College and for his efforts to promote Secondary Physical Education.
- Australian Football Coaches Association (WA Branch) 1994. Citation: Excellence in Coaching and nomination for Coach of the Year. Australian Football Coaches Association (WA Branch) 1993. Citation: Excellence in Coaching and nomination for Coach of the Year.
Course Coordinator: Bachelor of Sport, Health and Physical Activity