‘Commonwealth supported’ means the cost of your study is shared between the Australian Government and you. You are required to pay a student contribution amount and the Australian Government pays the balance of your course costs.  The Information for Commonwealth supported students and HECS-HELP 2016 (PDF 347KB) details your responsibilities as a student accepting a Commonwealth supported place.   Hard copies are also available from Flinders Connect in the Student Hub.


Click on the expandable questions below for further information for Commonwealth supported students.

Am I Commonwealth supported?

 You will be a Commonwealth supported student at Flinders if you are:

  • an Australian citizen undertaking at least one topic contributing towards your course of study in Australia; OR
  • a permanent visa holder (check www.immi.gov.au for the list of visa subclasses) or New Zealand citizen residing in Australia for the duration of each topic of study;

and enrolled in one of the following course types:

  • an undergraduate course;
  • a graduate entry bachelor degree; or
  • a postgraduate course for which the University has allocated you a Commonwealth supported place.

Note: NZ citizens and permanent residents of Australia are not eligible to defer student contribution amounts to HECS-HELP and must pay their fees upfront by the payment due dates.

How do I activate my Commonwealth supported place?

You will need to submit an online ‘Request for Commonwealth Assistance and HECS-HELP form’ on the Student Information System.  Go to Step 2 - Access the Student Information System for the steps required to complete the form. Completing the form means you are activating the Commonwealth supported place in your course.

If you study a combined degree, remember to complete a form for each course. Ensure that you pick the correct form and that it has been approved after submission to avoid delays to enrolling in your course(s).

What will study cost me?

Each year the Australian Government determines the maximum fees the University can charge for particular subject areas and these are grouped into bands. The subject areas determine how the topics you study will be charged. See the 2016 Student Contribution Amount page for the rate schedule and examples of study costs.

The amount you pay depends on which topics you study and which subject area they relate to. Some courses have topics across a number of bands and this will determine the fees you pay.

Note: these amounts may change, subject to the passage of legislation.

What is a full-time enrolment?

At Flinders, a full-time student is expected to complete a total of 36 units of study each year.  This is usually split into 18 units in each semester. Each topic you study has a particular unit value, normally 4.5 units.

36 units is the equivalent to one EFTSL, or ‘equivalent full-time student load’.

Does the student services and amenities fee apply to me?

As a general principle it is expected that all students will pay this fee irrespective of course or course level.  However some exceptions and reductions may apply, please refer to the student services and amenities fee page for additional details.

What will I pay for each topic?

To calculate your student contribution amount for each topic, divide the topic unit value by the total units for the year (36), and multiply by the student contribution amount for the subject area.

For example, LLAW1211 is a 4.5 unit topic in the Band 3 subject area. Divide the topic unit value (4.5) by the total units for a full-time year (36) and multiply by the annual student contribution amount ($10,440). The result is rounded down to the nearest dollar, so the student contribution amount for LLAW1211 is $1,305.

See the quick reference table on the 2016 Student Contribution Amount page for more information.

Am I eligible for a HECS-HELP loan (and SA-HELP loan) and/or a discount?

Commonwealth supported students who are Australian citizens or permanent humanitarian visa holders may;

  • obtain a 10% discount when paying all or part (minimum $500 per topic) of your student contribution amount upfront to the University before the relevant census date; and/or
  • obtain a HECS-HELP loan from the Australian Government to cover the student contribution amount; and
  • obtain a SA-HELP loan from the Australian Government to cover the student services and amenities fee

Note: The 10% discount is subject to legislative changes under consideration and, in the event that legislation is passed, discounts may not apply from 2016.

All Commonwealth supported students who are New Zealand citizens or permanent residents (other than permanent humanitarian visa holders):

  • must pay the student contribution amount in full by the payment due date; and
  • are not eligible to defer the student contribution amount to a HECS-HELP loan

Permanent residents or New Zealand citizens who become Australian citizens must present their original (or certified copy) 'Certificate of Australian Citizenship' to Flinders Connect on or before the relevant census date of a semester to become eligible for a HECS-HELP loan for that semester.  Students have six weeks from the census date to correct details on HECS-HELP forms if necessary, including the submission of documents such as the 'Certificate of Australian Citizenship'.  For further details see the Information for Commonwealth supported students and HECS-HELP 2016 (PDF 347KB)

Need more information?

If you still require more information about fees at Flinders University, then you may want to visit other Fee information pages. Alternatively, if you have a specific question about fees, please contact Flinders Connect.

Once you have enrolled at Flinders University, you can also access Ask Flinders for frequently asked questions and answers, and to request support online.