‘Commonwealth supported’ means the cost of your study is shared between the Australian Government and you. You are required to pay a student contribution amount and the Australian Government pays the balance of your course costs.  See the Study Assist website for details about your responsibilities as a student accepting a Commonwealth supported place. 


Click on the expandable questions below for further information for Commonwealth supported students.

Am I Commonwealth supported?

 You will be a Commonwealth supported student at Flinders if you are:

  • an Australian citizen undertaking at least one topic contributing towards your course of study in Australia; OR
  • an Australian permanent resident visa holder (check www.border.gov.au for the list of visa subclasses) or New Zealand citizen residing in Australia for the duration of each topic of study;

and enrolled in one of the following course types:

  • an undergraduate course;
  • a graduate entry bachelor degree; or
  • a postgraduate course for which the University has allocated you a Commonwealth supported place.

How do I activate my Commonwealth supported place?

You will need to submit an online ‘Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP form’ on the Student System.  Go to Access the Student System for the steps required to complete the form. Completing the form means you are activating the Commonwealth supported place in your course.

If you study a combined degree, remember to complete a form for each course. Ensure that you pick the correct form and that it has been approved after submission to avoid delays to enrolling in your course(s).

What will study cost me?

Each year the Australian Government determines the maximum fees the University can charge for particular subject areas and these are grouped into bands. The subject areas determine how the topics you study will be charged. See the Student Contribution Amount page for the rate schedule and examples of study costs.

The amount you pay depends on which topics you study and which subject area they relate to. Some courses have topics across a number of bands and this will determine the fees you pay.

What is a full-time enrolment?

At Flinders, a full-time student is expected to complete a total of 36 units of study each year.  This is usually split into 18 units in each semester. Each topic you study has a particular unit value, normally 4.5 units.

36 units is the equivalent to one EFTSL, or ‘equivalent full-time student load’.

Does the student services and amenities fee apply to me?

As a general principle it is expected that all students will pay this fee irrespective of course or course level.  However some exceptions and reductions may apply, please refer to the student services and amenities fee page for additional details.

Am I eligible for a HECS-HELP loan (and SA-HELP loan)?

Commonwealth supported students who are Australian citizens, Australian permanent humanitarian visa holders or New Zealand citizens who have been long-term residents of Australia since childhood and meet certain eligibility criteria (see the Study Assist website for details) may:

All Commonwealth supported students who are New Zealand citizens (other than those mentioned above) or permanent residents (other than permanent humanitarian visa holders):

  • must pay the student contribution amount in full by the payment due date; and
  • are not eligible to defer the student contribution amount to a HECS-HELP loan

Permanent residents or New Zealand citizens who become Australian citizens must present their original (or certified copy) 'Certificate of Australian Citizenship' to Flinders Connect on or before the relevant census date of a semester to become eligible for a HECS-HELP loan for that semester.  Students have six weeks from the census date to correct details on HECS-HELP forms if necessary, including the submission of documents such as the 'Certificate of Australian Citizenship'.  For further details see the Study Assist website.

Need more information?

If you require more information about fees at Flinders University: