The Australian Government requires all international students studying in Australia on a student visa to have health insurance cover for their entire stay in Australia. Health insurance cover is also required for all family members residing in Australia on a dependent visa.

On this page you will find information on:


Health Care Providers

The following insurers offer OSHC in Australia, and we can assist in finding OSHC that is suitable for you;

If you do choose your own provider, please ensure that you maintain health cover for your entire stay in Australia. Soon after your arrival in Australia, you must provide Flinders Connect with proof of your health cover.

Most providers offer OSHC membership that covers hospital and medical treatment; emergency ambulance services; selected pharmacy items, and other services (although waiting periods may apply in some circumstances).

Length of Cover

Commencing students

If you are commencing a course at Flinders University, you will be required to purchase visa length cover to ensure you have OSHC for your entire stay in Australia. If you extend your studies in Australia, you will need to renew your OSHC to cover the extended visa period.

Continuing students

If you do not have visa length cover, it is your responsibility to renew the cover to the full visa period. You must submit an online support request via Ask Flinders to request the OSHC policy extension before the expiry of your cover.

Cost of Cover

Most providers offer a range of policies for single, couple and family cover. Prices and quotations are available on provider websites as listed above.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Exceptions

All international students studying in Australia on a student visa are required to hold OSHC, however there are three exceptions:

  • Norwegian students covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme;
  • Swedish students covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet; and
  • Belgian students covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

For the OSHC requirement to be waived, Flinders Connect staff must sight appropriate documentation from your home country's insurance or student aid body and, in the case of Belgian students, your Medicare card from Medicare Australia once you arrive in Australia.

This documentation should be presented as soon as possible after your arrival in Australia. OSHC is available for other Norwegian and Swedish students who require cover.  To request cover, please submit an online support request via Ask Flinders.

Frequently asked questions

For detailed frequently asked questions about OSHC, or to submit an online support request, please visit Ask Flinders.