Aims and Objectives
An Australian Government Initiative
On 13 April 2017, the Assistant Minister for Health, the Hon David Gillespie MP announced the 26 regional training hubs to be established across Australia.
The Australian Government Department of Health objectives of the regional training hubs will build on the rural training network established through the RHMT program. The objectives of the regional training hubs are to:
- Improve the coordination of the stages of medical training to enable students intending to practise rurally to complete as much of their medical training as possible within regional and rural areas;
- Identify students with an interest in practising rurally and facilitate access to networked rural training opportunities at an early stage in their careers;
- Develop regional training capacity by supporting current supervisors of clinical training, assisting health services in obtaining accreditation for new training positions, and supporting local medical practitioners to become clinical supervisors;
- Strengthen existing, and develop new, connections with key stakeholders to improve the continuity of training for medical students/trainees within their region; and
- Identify regional medical workforce needs and use this information to prioritise activity.