Placement banner

Clinical placements

Several of our courses provide you with compulsory clinical experiences.

Before your placement, you must complete various pre-placement screenings and activities to ensure both your safety and the safety of the general public are maintained during your placement.

Placement guidelines and screening requirements are:

  • Applicable to all students involved in placements.
  • Related to the requirements of the duties or functions to be carried out in the placement.
  • Consistent with University policy, and with Commonwealth and State Government legislation relating to equal opportunity and discrimination.

If you do not meet these guidelines and pre-placement requirements, you will be unable to attend your placement, which may prevent or delay you from completing your topic, and possibly your degree.

Registration standards for respective occupations define the amount of placement hours that you will need to successfully complete. Failure to successfully undertake or complete a placement will impact your ability to register as a health professional.


Courses with placements

The following study areas provide clinical placements. Highlighted are the main areas of compliance, however each course has additional and specific requirements.

Each course or topic coordinator will provide you with specific instructions about placements before or during your study.

Criminal history screening Immunisations Medical & physical testing

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy


Medicine (MD)





Criminal history screenings

For SA Placements

Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) screenings (Aged, Child, Vulnerable and Disability

Valid for three years (unless revoked prior)

SA Health requires all students undertaking a placement in South Australia to hold current Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) screenings for the following types:

  • Aged care sector
  • Child-related employment
  • Vulnerable person employment
  • Disability

A new screening can only be initiated if there is six months or less remaining prior to the expiry of an existing screening. The DCSI recommend you allow as much time as possible (within this period) for the screening check to be completed.

How do I obtain a new DCSI screening?

  1. The CMPH WIL Unit will initiate your application
  2. Once your DCSI screening has been initiated, you will receive an email from the DCSI. Please open this email and follow the relevant prompts to activate your application. The email may potentially get sent to your junk/clutter emails, so please check all your inboxes.
  3. Whenever possible, select to verify your identity online. If you do not hold the necessary documents to verify your identity online, please select to have your identity verified by the 'Requesting Organisation'. A Verifying Officer is available at the College of Medicine and Public Health reception. Please bring your 100 points of original identity documents.
  4. If cleared, you will be posted a screening Certificate (for each screening type) by the DCSI.

Please note:

  • The activation email from the DCSI may get sent to your junk / spam email so please also keep an eye on this folder.
  • The child-related employment screening may be posted separately as this generally takes longer than the aged care sector and vulnerable person screenings.
  • The email from DCSI DOES NOT satisfy compliance requirements. You must upload the actual screening certificates on InPlace to be compliant for placement purposes

More information can be found on the DCSI Screening web site.

National Police Clearance

National Police Certificate (NPC)

Valid for three years

 We can accept a National Police Certificate (NPC) providing:

  • It was issued by a relevant State, Territory or Federal Police service; or
  • It was issued with the purpose of working with children and/or vulnerable groups; and
  • It was issued in the last three years.

International students will not require an NPC after 6 months of residency in Australia.

How do I obtain a National Police Certificate (NPC) free of charge?

Flinders University classifies as a volunteer organisation with the South Australian Police and has a Volunteer Organisation Authority Number (VOAN). This enables students who reside in South Australia to receive their NPC free of charge. To receive your NPC free of charge, please ensure you follow the process below:  

  1. Complete all applicant details on page 1 and sign the consent on page 2 of the National Police Certificate application form (PD267). The PD267 can be found on the South Australia Police website under Step 1. Do not continue onto Step 2 of the website, please continue as below.

    Select: Category: Working with Children/Vulnerable Groups
               Check Type: VOAN Volunteer (VC)
    Under ‘purpose of check / occupation’, include your discipline plus “placement”, for example “Medicine clinical placement".
  2. Make copies of your ID documents required to meet the 100 point criteria set out on page 2 of the PD267. 
  3. Present your completed PD267, ID documents and copies to a Justice of Peace. Both the PD267 and ID copies need to the certified. Please see below for further information on accessing JPs.
  4. Bring the original authorised PD267 along with the original copies of your certified ID to the front desk of College of Medicine and Public Health. We will complete the 'Volunteer Authority' section on page 2 and lodge the application for you.
  5. SAPOL will post your NPC to the postal address you entered on the form.
For further information, please see the SAPOL VOAN Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions.



Form A:  Infection and Immunisation Declaration
You are responsible for reading and understanding  Immunisation Standard & Precautionary Booklet (PDF 433KB)
You must print, read and sign the Flinders University  Infection and Immunisation Declaration - Form A (PDF 166KB)

Form B:  Certificate of Compliance

You are required to have completed the relevant immunisations and have the  Certificate of compliance Form B – 2019 (PDF 261KB) completed by an immunisation provider. Your immunisation provider may review existing immunisation records (please take these with you to your appointment), request blood tests to confirm your immunity status and/or administer any outstanding immunisations.

Upon completion of the Form B, you must ensure that your immunisation provider provides you with copies of all supporting documentation, including vaccination records and blood test (serology) results.

Tuberculosis (TB) screening

You must meet the screening requirements of SA TB Services There are three stages to the clearance process. Many students will only need to complete the first stage, however some students will also need to complete the second or third stage.

The first step is to complete the online SA Tuberculosis Service screening questionnaire. Following this you will receive an email from SA TB Services. This email will either:

IMPORTANT: Some vaccinations can interfere with the blood test that is used to screen for Tuberculosis. For this reason, you should delay any vaccinations until AFTER you have been cleared by SA TB Services, or until you have received your IGRA test results.

Once you are advised that you have completed the TB Screening Requirements, you must provide evidence of this to the college.

Your TB screening is valid for 5 years providing you have not since worked in an area with a high TB prevalence or have been in contact with someone who has active TB.

For further information, please refer to  SA TB Services Information Pack (PDF 398KB) or the SA TB Services resources page.

Please note the following:
Hepatitis B: You are required to confirm your immunity to Hepatitis B via blood test. This is to be done 4-8 weeks after your final (3rd) dose of the vaccine. Please contact the college if you are unable to demonstrate immunity.
Poliomyelitis: Your Form B must include dates of 3 doses of the poliomyelitis vaccine. If you know you have been fully vaccinated in the past but no longer have the record(s), you can complete the Poliomyelitis Statutory Declaration instead.
Vaccination Refusal: If you refuse to be screened or vaccinated, or cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, please complete the Flinders University student health care worker immunisation refusal form Immunisation Standard & Precautionary Booklet (PDF 433KB) . Please be aware that you may be refused a placement on this basis, which may impact your ability to complete the course.

Your health & welfare

Before placement

If you have an existing illness or disability that could impact your ability to successfully undertake a clinical placement, you must advise your topic coordinator before starting your placement.

More information: Contact a University Disability Advisor to discuss an access plan.

If you do not declare a pre-existing illness or impairment that could either place the public at substantial risk of harm, or impact your ability to complete the requirements of your placement, you will be withdrawn from placement.

More information: Withdrawal of student from placement and Section 143 of the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (SA) Act 2010.


During or after placement
Clinical placements can be emotionally taxing for students. If you require assistance, Flinders offer an independent counselling service and an on-campus health service .


Work health and safety

You must participate in relevant training before starting a placement, which may include:

  • Specific training provided by your discipline.
  • Basic WHS training provided through the University’s online placement software.

Host organisations are responsible to ensure their workplace is safe for students on placement.

During placements, you must comply with any reasonable safety instructions, rules or procedures of the host organisation (e.g. wearing personal protective equipment).


Induction checklist

An induction checklist must be completed at the start of each placement by either your placement supervisor, or by another appropriate member of staff.

Keep a copy of the completed checklist, with the original kept by your supervisor.

Injury, accidents or incidents

If you are injured or involved in an incident or accident while on placement you should report the event immediately. You are required to:

  • Immediately report the accident/ incident to the most appropriate person at the venue.
  • Seek appropriate first aid or medical advice if required.
  • Complete the venue's report form with the appropriate staff member.
  • Complete a University accident/incident report via the Flinsafe website. Provide a copy to your course coordinator.
  • You will need to discuss with Student Services about any medical treatment costs not covered by Medicare.