Cardiac Surgery at Flinders has endeavoured to build a strong research platform to support the excellent clinical unit. This has resulted in the formation of our research group "Cardiac Surgery Research", and has allowed us to successfully publish over 50 papers in many of the most recognised journals in Cardiac surgery and Perfusion Research.
The research unit has received support from major granting bodies including the NHMRC and the NHF, with additional support from RACS, Flinders Foundation and Corporate grants. Additionally, students in the unit have been able to gain research scholarships including, NHF and University Postgraduate scholarships and the prestigious Sir Robert Menzies Scholarship.
The unit is currently involved in a number of ongoing clinical studies and we have project areas available for Surgical Trainees and other graduates wishing to pursue a Masters Degree or Doctor of Philosophy Program at Flinders Univerisity.
Current programs available include:
- Masters of Surgery
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Masters of Biotechnology
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
A variety of different bodies provide support for postgraduate study and for research projects. We have compiled the following guide to help prospective students and researchers:
Postgraduate Scholarship Opportunities
- National Heart Foundation Postgraduate Scholarships
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- St Jude Research Scholarship
- Flinders University
- Menzies Foundation
Research Grant Opportunities:
· Flinders Medical Centre Foundation Research Grant scheme.
· National Heart Foundation Postgraduate Scholarships
· National Health and Medical Research Council
· National Heart Foundation Travel Grants
- Evaluation of the role of mood state on cardiac surgical patients.
- Evaluation of the role of Troponin T in the assessment of myocardial damage.
- Biofeedback: Creating improved clinical practice in cardiac surgery.
- Perfusion Downunder Collaboration Database Project.
- Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons Database Project.
- Lighthouse Foundation Project improving care and outcomes for Indigenous Australians
- TRICS III Transfusion Requirements in Cardiac Surgery
- ITACS Evaluating a preoperative, single-dose of intravenous iron in patients with anaemia having elective cardiac surgery
- Centre of Research Excellence in cardiovascular outcomes improvement.