This project explored aspects of the lives and health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in urban areas, and in particular: mental and physical health status and health inequities; experience of urban neighbourhood life; social capital; and experience of racism and its impact on health.
F Baum, W Edmondson, A Ziersch, C Palmer
Other investigators/project staff
G Gallaher, M Bentley, L Winslow, M Ah Matt, C Bilney
Partner Research Groups or Other Partners
Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal Health
Funding & duration
National Health & Medical Research Council
Refereed Journal Articles
- Gallaher, G., Ziersch, A., Baum, F., Bentley, M., Palmer, C., Edmondson, W. & Winslow, L. (2009) In Our Own Backyard: Urban health inequities and Aboriginal experiences of neighbourhood life, social capital and racism. Adelaide: Flinders University.
- Gallaher, G. (2008) Getting under our skin: Self-reported experiences of racism and their effects on health for urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Dr.PH thesis, Flinders University.
- Ziersch, A. (2008) ‘Urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander experience of racism and the impact on their health: policy/practice implications.’ Paper presented at Invited Presentation Fulbright Symposium, Adelaide, July 2008.
- Ziersch, A., Baum, F., Gallaher, G. & Bentley, M. (2008) ‘Comparing social capital across general and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations in Adelaide.’ Paper presented at Population Health Congress, Brisbane, July 2008.
- Gallaher, G., Ziersch, A., Baum, F., Bentley, M. & Palmer, C. (2007). ‘Racism and its impact on health for urban Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.’ Paper presented at 38th Annual Public Health Association of Australia, Alice Springs, September 2007.
- Gallaher, G., Baum, F., Palmer, C., Ziersch, A., Bentley, M., & Edmondson, W. (2006) ‘Culturally meaningful research processes with urban Indigenous people.’ Paper presented at International Society for Equity in Health Conference, Adelaide, September 2006.
- ?Osborne, K., Ziersch, A., Baum, F., Gallaher, G., & Shen, D. (2010) ‘Community group participation and health among Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal women living in urban Adelaide.’ Paper presented at 6th Australian Women’s Health Conference: The New National Agenda. Hobart, Tasmania, May 2010.