Recent News, events and announcements - relating to both the Department and individual Staff.
Congratulations to Marissa Holden on being awarded a $2500 Faculty Honours Scholarship! Marissa is doing her Honours year in the Neuroscience of Insect Vision Laboratory, under Dr Karin Nordstrom.
Our new Anatomage Table is featured in several news articles this week (4-8 April), including:
- the Flinders Blog: http://blogs.flinders.edu.au/fit/2016/04/05/training-device-puts-remote-anatomy-teaching-in-the-picture/
- Adelaide Advertiser: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/flinders-university-unveils-four-anatomage-machines-for-virtual-autopsies/news-story/90dd626c5f966451b0f20753f8feca84
- ABC Online: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-05/taking-cadaver-out-of-autopsies-new-3d-human-technology/7300758?source=rss
- Border Watch, Mt Gambier "Medical Revolution", 6th April edition, pg 3 & 8.
- ABC South East SA, Mt Gambier, 06:30 News, Radio interview with Prof Paul Worley (Dean, School of Medicine), 6th April.
- ABC Riverland SA, Renmark, 06:30 News, Radio interview with Prof Paul Worley (Dean, School of Medicine), 6th April. Repeated 07:30 News.
- 891 ABC Adelaide, Adelaide, 07:45 News, Radio interview with Prof Paul Worley (Dean, School of Medicine), 6th April.
- Radio Adelaide, 07:45 News, Radio interview with Prof Rainer Haberberger (Head of Anatomy & Histology), 8th April. https://radio.adelaide.edu.au/anatomage-table-to-revolutionise-medical-training-professor-rainer-haberberger/
Our Head of Department, Prof Rainer Haberberger, made good on a promise of support for the FMSS World's Greatest Shave Team, by agreeing to have his head shaved after the team raised over $2000! The eventual total for the team exceeded $6000, with all proceeds going to the Leukaemia Foundation.
The long awaited Anatomage Table has arrived! Prof Rainer Haberberger spearheaded the campaign that will see 4 of these virtual disection tools, utilised in anatomy education at Flinders. For more information on the tables, see the website: www.anatomage.com/medical-products/anatomage-table
Twenty brave staff members and students, faced off against 40'C heat to attend the departmental Christmas Lunch at the Adelaide Bowling Club (17th Dec). While the heat did get the better of the group towards the end of the day, several high-spirited games of lawn-bowls were played and some naturals at the sport were discovered!
The A&H Departmental Christmas Lunch 2015
The department welcomed new research staff: Demi Gao, Marie Schauries and Tingting Wang! Marie and Tingting have joined the Environmental Control of Cell Growth & Cell Division Lab and Demi has joined the Neuroscience of Insect Vision (NIVi) Lab.
A "lab-warming" party was held (6th Nov) in room 6E:122 to celebrate the safe arrival of Karin Nordstrom's equipment from Sweden. Many of the 6E corridor residents attended the welcome event and revelled in the newly refurbished lab.
The Department welcomes Dr Karin Nordstrom to its ranks, as a Senior Lecturer! Karin comes to us from the Uppsala University of Sweden. She is no stranger to Adelaide, having been a Lecturer and ARC Research Fellow at the University of Adelaide in 2009. Her Neuroscience of Insect Vision (NIVi) Laboratory is in containers on its way to Australia and will shortly be established in room 6E:122 of Flinders Medical Centre.
The Department held a retirement celebration for Dr Alan Wilson who will be retiring from full-time academia in March this year! The theme was the 70s and many of Alan's colleagues and friends dressed appropriately to farewell this long time staff member. Former colleagues travelled from as far away as QLD to join him for the day, and speeches, songs and skits were enjoyed by all.
The Department welcomes back Catherine Johnson, who has accepted a Tutor position with Anatomy & Histology for 2015.
The Department welcomes Janni Petersen, who is our new Associate Professor! Janni comes to us from the University of Manchester, UK, after successfully vying for the senior lectureship position last year. She brings alot of expertise (and equipment) with her and will shortly establish her Environmental Control of Cell Growth & Cell Division Laboratory.