I joined Flinders University in May 2020 as Associate Director, Student Learning Support Service. Prior to this I was Director of Learning Analytics at RMIT. I have been a marine biology academic since 2008 starting with an assistant professorship at The University of Texas at Austin and a lectureship at the University of Adelaide. I was a postdoctoral fellow at the Smithsonian Institution. My research areas have been ecology and evolution of marine organisms, and learning analytics. I have published extensively in these fields and received several grants (including ARC and NSF) to fund my research. I am currently Editor in Chief of the Journal of Marine Biology and Ecology (since 2016) and Editor of Oecologia (since 2016) and have served in several other boards.
PhD Biology, Florida State University
BSc Biology, Universidad de Guadalajara
--University Teaching Award, Adelaide Univeristy
Publications in the last year.
60. Munguia, P. and A. Gibson (in review). Finding False: A philosophical framework for learning analytics
59. Munguia and A. Brennan (in press). A stage-based matrix model of student progression. J. Learning Analytics
57. Munguia, P. C Cheong, F Cheong, E Gharaie (2020). Exploratory Variations in Course Structure Consistency Within the Learning Management System. Book Chapter in Tertiary Education in a Time of Change: Disruptions, Challenges and Strategies, Springer, Singapore 99-111pp
56. Munguia, A. Brennan, S. Taylor, and D. Lee (2020). A learning analytics journey: bridging the gap between technology services and the academic need. The Internet and Higher Education, 100744
55. Munguia, P. (2020). Preventing student and faculty attrition in times of change. Book Chapter in Radical Solutions & Learning analytics Personalised Learning and Teaching Through Big Data. Springer, Singapore, 115-129pp.
54. Darnell, MZ, PRY Backwell, and P. Munguia (2020). Frequency and latency of autotomy in a sexually selected fiddler crab appendage. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 523, 151255
53. Cuellar-Gempeller, C., and P. Mungia (2019). Habitat filters mediate successional trajectories in bacterial communities associated with the striped shore crab. Oecologia 191: 957-970
52. Darnell, MZ, PRY Backwell, J Stockbridge, ML Dyson, P Munguia. 2019. Thermal and desiccation constraints drive territory preference in fiddler crabs. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 518, 151173
51. van der Hulst,L, P Munguia, JA Culbert, CM Ford, RA Burton, KL Wilkinson. 2019. Accumulation of volatile phenol glycoconjugates in grapes following grapevine exposure to smoke and potential mitigation of smoke taint by foliar application of kaolin. Planta 249 (3), 941-952
50. Brennan, A., A Sharma, P. Munguia. 2019. Diversity of online behaviours associated with physical attendance in lectures. Journal of Learning Analytics. Journal of Learning Analytics 6 (1), 34-53
You consent to the use of our cookies if you proceed.