Applicants for the scholarship must:
- be permanent residents of rural Australia; and
- normally reside outside of the Adelaide metropolitan area and the metropolitan areas of other major Australian cities (as defined by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Local Council areas); and
- have lived in a rural or regional area of Australia for at least four years preceding the commencement of higher education; and
- have completed the final two years of schooling in a high school or college in a rural or regional area; and
- have not previously lived away from home on a permanent basis; and
- be in their first year of higher education study; and
- be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate course of study at Flinders University; and
- be residing at University Hall for the duration of the academic year in which the award is made; and
- be able to demonstrate financial hardship.
Note: Applicants who lived away from their rural or regional home to complete the whole or the majority of their secondary schooling at a high school or college in a major city may be considered if they are able to demonstrate special circumstances.