Dr Molla Wassie is a Clinical and Nutritional Epidemiologist with advanced statistical analysis skills. He obtained his PhD from the University of Adelaide and received the Dean’s Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence.
Before completing his PhD, Molla was a lecturer and researcher at the University of Gondar, Ethiopia and was the head of Human Nutrition department at the Institute of Public Health. In 2016, he established a nutritional surveillance program in Northwest Ethiopia with his colleagues.
Molla earned a Bachelor of Science in Public Health from Hawassa University and a Master of Science in Applied Human Nutrition from the University of Gondar, Ethiopia.
Molla’s current research focuses on the epidemiology of colorectal cancer using large longitudinal data from the Southern Cooperative Program for the Prevention of Colorectal Cancer (SCOOP).
BSC, MSC, PhD
- 2021:Medical Research Future Fund, Australia for "A liquid biopsy DNA methylation blood test for personalised treatment of patients with gastrointestinal cancers." Value $1,980,810 (role: associate investigator)
- 2020: Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence from the University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- 2019: Nutrition Society of Australia travel grant, Australia. Value $450
- 2018: The Hospital Research Foundation travel grant, South Australia, Australia. Value $2,200
- 2016-2020: Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship
- 2016: University of Gondar mega project grant “Establishing nutritional surveillance system and pilot nutrition intervention in Northwest Ethiopia.” Value $62,925
- 2016: University of Gondar research project grant “Treatment outcome of patients with severe acute malnutrition in TFC found in Amhara region, Ethiopia.” Value $1,122
- 2014: University of Gondar research project grant “Nutritional status and Feeding practice of children in East Belesa, Northwest Ethiopia.” Value $1,300
- 2013: Operational Research Grant by World Bank and Ethiopian Public Health Institute “Effectiveness of organizing newly-wed women and adolescent girls through community-based nutrition to improve access to, coverage and utilization of Community Based Nutrition services in Amhara Region, Ethiopia”
Nov 2020-Postdoctoral Research Associate, Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer, College of Medicine and Public health, Flinders University
June 2020-Nov 2020: Research Assistant, Department of Food and Nutrition, Waite Campus, The University fo Adelade
2017-2020: Teaching Academics, Department of Food and Nutrition, Waite Campus, The University of Adelaide
2009 - 2016: Research and Teaching Academics, Department of Nutrition, Institute of Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar
Epidemiology, Nutrition, Research Methods
- Head: Human Nutrition Department, Institute of Public Health, University of Gondar, 2014-2016
- Member: Nutrition society of Australia, 2017 to date
- Member: The American society of Nutrition, 2019 to date
- Member: Ethiopian Public Health Association (EPHA), March 2007 to date.
- Trainer: Nutrition technical update courses for Ethiopian Health Professionals teaching Nutrition courses at higher education institutions.
You consent to the use of our cookies if you proceed.