The University provides staff, students, and people who have a formal association with the University access to University IT services to enable them to undertake their job/role. For staff and non-students with a formal association, access is granted when their record is created on the HR System and revoked on the last day as recorded in the HR System.
Extension of this access beyond termination date is not to be expected as most staff and non-student users have access to sensitive and proprietary University information and related systems. Granting access outside of a formal arrangement presents a number of risks to the University including the misuse of University information that contravenes the Acceptable Use of Technology Procedures (PDF).
The objective of this procedure is to define the process for authorising access to IT services either prior to or after the end of a formal association.
University access for staff or non-student users will only be granted prior to or after the end of a formal association if the following circumstances apply:
- A formal request will normally be endorsed by a relevant College/Division Head and authorised by the Director, People and Culture (or delegate) in the following cases:
- the end of their association with the University is imminent (but, not finalised);
- any other cases as deemed appropriate by the Director, People and Culture to ensure continuity of University functions.
Once the above criteria have been met, access will be extended by an authorised HR support person who is responsible for creating/updating the record. The following rules apply when granted an extension:
- Access will only be provided to specified applications and data (must not include any Financial Systems and Student Two);
- Access will only be provided for a maximum of 30 calendar days.
Requests for University access via an existing Flinders Authentication Name (FAN) must be made in writing to the Director, People and Culture and access is only permitted after a requestor obtains approval from the correct authority (as defined below). All requests must include the following information:
- Justification for the access outside of a formal association; and
- The IT system or information that is required to be accessed (if the request is not bridging a contract gap).
Approval for extension of access to a staff and non-student user
- A request for access is made in writing to an appropriate College/Division Head who is required to endorse the request.
- The request is forwarded to the Director, People and Culture for review to ensure there is no conflict of interest or potential legal issues associated with fulfilling the request.
- Director, People and Culture reviews and provides approval.
- Once the Director, People and Culture approves, the request can be forwarded to Payroll for action.