The Cochlear Aurora Photo Contest was devised and founded by Associate Professor Maria Parappilly and has been running since 2015. Flinders University partnered with Cochlear Asia Pacific in 2016 in support of women in STEM.
The photo competition has two major prize categories:
- Female school students in years 7 to 10, in South Australia or Northern Territory
- Female high school students in years 11 to 12, in South Australia or Northern Territory
Prizes totalling over $4500* are awarded to students and their schools in the several categories
*Prize pool may change without notice.
The photo competition has four major prize categories:
1 x $500 Female school students in year 7 to 10 (from South Australia or Northern Territory).
1 x $500 School of the 1st prize award winner in Year 7-10 (Sponsored by ASBMB) (from South Australia or Northern Territory).
1 x $500 Female high school students in year 11 to 12 (from South Australia or Northern Territory).
1 x $500 School of the 1st prize award winner in Year 11-12 (from South Australia or Northern Territory).
Additional prize categories may include:
Beach Energy prize for the Best Natural photo will be offered ONLY in Year 11- 12 Category
Australian Institute of Physics Best Physics Photo Prize will be offered in both categories.
Best STEM Entry from Regional SA Sponsored by the college of Science and Engineering (Drawn from both Categories).
Best STEMM Entry Sponsored by the Office of Communication, Marketing and Engagement
Best Medicine and Optometry Prize sponsored by the College of Medicine and Public Health
The Cochlear Aurora Photo Contest (the Contest) is run exclusively by Flinders University ABN 65 542 596 200. Flinders University reserves and retains all rights (including intellectual property rights) arising from or associated with the Contest including the right to hold and advertise the Contest.
Photo submission guidelines
- Convey the fact that ‘Science is everywhere!’
- Be creative, unique and eye-catching.
- Convey directly or indirectly the essence of the title/content.
- Be an original photo taken by the student.
- Entries will be judged on the quality of the photo, creativity of the concept, clear communication and explanation of the photo.
- Judging will be based on the weighting as follows:
- Judges decisions is final.
Students are only allowed to enter one photo; multiple entries are not permitted.
The 2021 competition closes at 5pm , 8 October 2021.