The program is specifically designed to assist military veterans transition successfully into university, both academically and socially. The program covers a wide range of academic skills development, but also provides campus tours, facilitated engagement with support services, linking with peer mentoring, and academic advocacy.
On successful completion of the program, you will:
- develop skills in academic writing, argumentation and critical thinking
- be familiar with effective research strategies and using the library
- be able to correctly reference your work
- appreciate diversity and alternative perspectives
- critically read and comprehend a range of texts
- communicate your ideas on a given topic orally and in writing in a clear and logical manner
- have a basic understanding of statistics and how to interpret and evaluate statistical data
- use computing programs and online learning tools to an appropriate standard.
When: 4 November – 6 December 2019
Where: Flinders University, Bedford Park
Class contact: 18 hours per week from 09:30 to 14:00 - 4-days per week (Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri)
Additional study: You will need to allocate approximately 17 hours per week for additional study.
The first day includes a workshop with partner 'StoryRight', which includes communication and presentation training, networking opportunities and mentoring by younger veterans who have successfully transitioned back to 'civvy street'.